4/17/2013

scrapbooked alphabet blocks



Running a day late with this post... I just started working full time, and I'm in full-fledged Psych GRE study mode. In fact, I fell asleep (in my characteristic "sleeping at my computer" position) while editing this post last night.

During the making of this project, my eyes were getting droopy while I was waiting to apply the next coat of Mod Podge. Subsequently, the following exchange took place:
Peter: Don't fall asleep in your pood pooj.
Me: My poop poop?!
Peter: (Some other gibberish in varying forms.)
Peter: That stuff. (points)
Me: You mean Mod Podge?
Peter: Yes.

These spring blocks are similar to my rustic wooden alphabet blocks for fall. They coordinate perfectly with my spring vases, for a spring mantel full of great cheer!


What you'll need:

  • Wooden craft blocks - I bought a whittler's kit and cut the large blocks in half, because it was much cheaper than buying the blocks individually. The finished blocks measure 1 1/2" x 2" x 1/2".
  • Saw (optional) - I used our compound miter saw to cut my blocks to size, but many other types of saws would work well too.
  • Sandpaper
  • Old cloth or paper towels
  • Thumbtacks (optional)
  • Newspaper - To protect your work surface.
  • Acrylic paint - In your desired color(s).
  • Foam brush(s)
  • Plastic container/lid you were going to recycle anyway - To use as a paint palette.
  • Scrapbook paper in coordinating designs/colors - I used paper in 6 different bright, "springy" colors with the same white dotted pattern on them.
  • Letter stickers - In a coordinating color.
  • Mod Podge - I used the all-purpose matte variety.
  • Old credit card - Or something that will allow you to make sure there's no wrinkles in your Mod Podge job.


Paint the blocks.

Step 1: Measure and cut the blocks to the desired size.

Step 2: Lightly sand the blocks, just enough that they don't give you splinters. Wipe down the blocks with a damp cloth to remove any sawdust.

Step 3: Stick a thumbtack into one side (the large side) of each block. This gives you a semi-stable handle and props up the block while it dries.

Step 4: Paint the blocks in your desired color, letting them dry for several minutes between coats. By the time you finish a coat on each block, the first block will be ready for the next coat. It took me 2-3 coats, as the wood soaks up the paint quite a bit. Additionally, since you'll be covering up one side with scrapbook paper, it isn't necessary to paint more than just the edges of the side with the thumbtack. Let dry for several hours or overnight.



Step 5: Take your scrapbook paper, and measure and cut out a piece per block that is slightly smaller than the face of the block. Since my block faces are 1 1/2" x 2", I cut the paper to be 1 3/8" x 1 7/8".



Mod Podge the blocks.

Step 6: Remove the thumbtacks from the blocks after they have completed drying

Step 7: Apply a thin coat of Mod Podge to the non-fully-painted side of the block.

Step 8: Place the background piece on the block. Use an edge of an old credit card to evenly press the paper to the block. Start at the center and work outward to eliminate any wrinkles. Let dry for several minutes. By the time you do this with all of your blocks, the first one should be ready for the next step.

Step 9: Adhere the sticker to the block, and seal it with another coat of Mod Podge.



Step 10: Apply 2-3 thin coats of Mod Podge over the lettered front and surrounding sides of the block. Let dry.

Step 11: Apply 2-3 thin coats of Mod Podge to the remaining side of the block. Let dry.

Step 12: Admire your work!



Do you like this project? Consider pinning it, subscribing to me, or checking out my other projects. For a complete list of all blogs I link up with, see my link party page.

I'm linking up with:
Made by You Monday @ Skip to my Lou
Time to Shine Party @ A Diamond in the Stuff
Lil' Luna Link Party @ Lil' Luna
Share It Link Party @ The Winthrop Chronicles
Time for a Party @ Fine Craft Guild


Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. Kelsey, these are really fun. Great tutorial. Thank you so much for linking it up! BTW. did you put your name in the hat yet for that stunning necklace that we're giving away at the Fine Craft Guild? Come check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...