3/26/2013

quick & easy, no-sew, multi-ribbon Bible bookmarks for mass production



I help lead the high school youth group at church. A couple of weeks ago, the teens participated in an interdenominational weekend retreat. It's customary for the parishes to help support the teens by making or buying faith-related trinkets with which to surprise the teens during the weekend. A couple of other Sunday School teachers and I got together and crafted one Sunday afternoon. I chose to make multi-ribbon Bible bookmarks, not unlike those I posted a month ago. However, since I needed to make 80, I devised an alternate method that would be cheap and fast (no-sew). I made all 80 by myself in 4-5 hours, and I spent less than $10 on the project (12¢/bookmark). I could've easily made 100 bookmarks, though, with the materials I purchased.


What you'll need:

Felt - You can get 10+ out of one craft-sized sheet. For large-scale productions like mine, buying it from the bolt at the fabric store is much more cost-effective. I bought 1/3 yard for 82¢ after using a 50% off coupon.

Ruler and/or quilting ruler

1/4" wide ribbon in 4 colors - I bought the ribbon on sale for 25¢/spool. I got 25-26 bookmarks per spool. 4 colors times 4 spools per color equals 16 spools totaling $4. Unfortunately, when ribbon goes on sale, they often run out of the "good" colors. I was trying to go for liturgical colors. Only later did I realize they were also Mardi Gras colors.

Drinking straw (optional)

Deep bowl (optional)

1" wide Fusible Bonding Web - I used Dritz Stitch Witchery Super Weight, and it worked great. One 13 yard package is enough for 150 bookmarks.This was the most expensive part of the project at $3.50 after using a 50% off coupon.

Iron and ironing board

Cloth such as a floursack towel


It's time to enlist some help.

Step 1: Measure and cut the felt into pieces 1.25" wide and 6" long. I did this all at once by first marking the grid of bookmarks and then cutting them out.

Step 2: Cut a 13" length of each color of ribbon. I put 2 spools on a straw balanced over a deep bowl, as shown. This allowed me to quickly cut lengths from 2 spools at a time.



Step 3: Cut a 3" piece of Stitch Witchery. You can quickly cut these by setting up the spool similarly to the spools of ribbon.

Step 4: To assemble the bookmark, place a piece of felt on the ironing board. Add a piece of Stitch Witchery on top of one half of the felt. Place the one piece of each ribbon color on top of the Stitch Witchery so that the ends are about 1/2" in from the edge of the felt. Fold the other half of the felt over to form a sandwich.



Step 5: Place the cloth over the bookmarks, and press them as directed on the Stitch Witchery package. I was able to press 4 bookmarks at a time.



Step 6: Trim the ribbon ends at an angle. By lining up all 4 ribbons, you can trim a whole bookmark at once.



Step 7: Admire your work!

To Use: Insert the felt end of the bookmark into the spine between the cover and the pages.




Do you like this project? Consider pinning it, subscribing to me, or checking out my other projects. For a complete list of all blogs I link up with, see my link party page.

I'm linking up with:

Made by You Monday @ Skip to my Lou
Time to Shine Party @ A Diamond in the Stuff
Lil' Luna Link Party @ Lil' Luna
Share It Link Party @ The Winthrop Chronicles
Time for a Party @ Fine Craft Guild
Weekend Wrap Up Party @ Tatertots & Jello
Sundae Scoop Link Party @ I Heart Nap Time

Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. That is a great idea. Why didn't I think of that. Did you see the other bookmarks in the linky party, which has magnets and a backflap? 2 book jewels! Thank you for linking your wonderful project up at our linky party at www.FineCraftGuild.com !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...