2/27/2013

multi-ribbon Bible bookmark



I tend to keep my personal life personal, including my religious faith, but I'll share a little tidbit. I've been working on reading the entire Bible, and I've chosen to read it chronologically. I want to see the whole story unfold from the beginning. Plus, I'm just the type of person that likes things to be in order. I'm following one-year plans from One Year and Back to the Bible, but I have been reading at my own pace. Thus, I'm not very far; I've only finished Genesis and half of Job.

If anyone's curious, I read the Quest Study Bible. (I have the 2003 edition, but I've linked the newer one.) It's an NIV translation with tons of helpful notes to the side of the text. I also sometimes refer to The Message, as Peterson's translation to everyday language can be easier to understand. I highly recommend both of these versions.

Anyway, reading the Bible chronologically involves a lot of skipping around between the books. To cut down on the random slips of paper shoved in my Bible, I made a multi-ribbon bookmark. Keeping my places has become a lot easier.

My tutorial does involve sewing with a sewing machine. However, a no-sew version of this seems simple enough. Glue the felt instead of sewing, or skip the felt all together. (I have not actually tried this.)
Update: Check out the tutorial for my no-sew version!

Just to clarify, this bookmark is not Bible-specific. It will work with any thick (1.5" or thicker) hard-cover book: hymnals, other religious texts, cookbooks, textbooks, etc.


What you'll need:

1/4" wide ribbon in 3-6 colors
Duct Tape - I used black to match the felt.
Ruler
Felt - The craft-sized sheet is plenty. (You can get 10+ out of one sheet.)
Extra sewing machine needle - I recommend using a spare/old one. The duct tape can make it a bit sticky.
Coordinating thread
Nail polish (optional)


Arrange the ribbon.

Step 1: Cut each color of ribbon to a length 3-4" longer than the book you plan on using with it.

Step 2: Cut a piece of duct tape 6" in length. I've found that the easiest way to get a clean cut is to cut while the duct tape is pulled taut.

Step 3: Place the ruler on the duct tape, about 1/2" up from the edge, as shown.



Step 4: Adhere each piece of ribbon to the duct tape, as shown. Be sure the ribbon piece only spans a width of no more than 1". This might require overlapping the pieces.



Step 5: Fold the piece of duct tape in half, as shown, so that the pieces of ribbon are sandwiched.

Step 6: Trim the duct tape to be 1/16-1/8" wider than the ribbon line-up on each side.



Sew the felt.

Step 7: Cut a piece of felt to be 1.25-1.5" wide and 6" long.

Step 8: Fold the felt in half, sandwiching the duct tape piece in between.

Step 9: Sew around the edge of the felt piece using a 1/4" seam allowance.



Finish the bookmark.

Step 10: Trim the pieces of ribbon to be the same length. If desired, create a decorative end by folding in half lengthwise before cutting on an angle.

Step 11: If desired, run a thin line of nail polish along the cut edges of the ribbon to prevent fraying.



Step 12: Admire your work!



To Use: Insert the felt end of the bookmark into the spine between the cover and the pages.



Do you like this project? Consider pinning it, subscribing to me, or checking out my other projects. For a complete list of all blogs I link up with, see my link party page.

I'm linking up with:

Made by You Monday @ Skip to my Lou
Time to Shine Party @ A Diamond in the Stuff
Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings
Lil' Luna Link Party @ Lil' Luna
Share It Link Party @ The Winthrop Chronicles
Time for a Party @ Fine Craft Guild
Weekend Wrap Up Party @ Tatertots & Jello
Sundae Scoop Link Party @ I Heart Nap Time

Print Friendly and PDF

7 comments:

  1. I need this for all my reference/craft books! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That would be a great use!

      Delete
  2. Oh I definitely think I need to make one of these! I bought one from online one time but I still feel like I need more ribbons and I only have one and have multiple bibles.

    Would love for you to come link up to Handmade Tuesdays @ wwww.ladybug-blessings.com

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristen! I just added my link!

      Delete
  3. What a cool idea. And thanks for the links to the Bible Reading plans. I've contemplated doing it chronologically for a while, and now I actually have a plan for it. Will definitely be doing this. And I might need to make myself a bookmark too. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! I hope it goes well for you.

      Delete
  4. Just wondering if the felt stays in place? Seems like it may slip out of the spine.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...