1/25/2013

wooden SNOW plaque



I love holiday decorations. January is a wonderful time of rest; the time after Christmas and before Lent/Easter/Spring. It also creates a lull in holiday decorating options as it's too late for Christmas but too early for Valentine's Day. Generic snow-themed decorations fill the void with their cheery snowmen, cute penguins, shades of blue, and "Let it Snow" mantra.

As I said before, I love holiday decorations; particularly those of the letter and sign variety. I have a cute Valentine's Day plaque that spells "LOVE" using a heart as the "O," and I thought a winter plaque spelling "SNOW" with a snowflake for the "O" would be cute. I created a painted, scrapbooked sign from wooden pieces, not unlike my Rustic Wooden Alphabet Blocks.


What you'll need:

6.75" Square wooden craft plaque - The beveled "front" was not to my liking, so I used the "back" as the front of my project.
2.5" Wooden letters (S,N, and W)
2.5" Wooden snowflake - I needed to layer 2 to match the thickness of the letters.
Sandpaper
Old cloth or paper towels
Thumbtacks (optional)
Newspaper - To protect your work surface.
Acrylic paint - In coordinating color(s).
Foam brush
Plastic container you were going to recycle anyway - For mixing the paint.
Scrapbook paper - I used scraps leftover from making a fall-themed card a while back.
Mod Podge - I used the all-purpose matte variety.
Old credit card - Or something that will allow you to make sure there's no wrinkles in your Mod Podge job.
Coordinating ribbon
Staple gun & staples (optional)


Paint the wood pieces.

Step 1: Lightly sand the wood pieces, just enough that they don't give you splinters. Wipe down the blocks with a damp cloth to remove any sawdust.

Step 2: Stick a thumbtack into the back side of each letter/snowflake. This gives you a semi-stable handle and props up the letter/snowflake while it dries.

Step 3: Paint the wooden pieces in your desired color, letting them dry for several minutes between coats. The snowflakes and plaque took 3-4 coats, as the wood soaks up quite a bit of paint. The letters were coated with black paint/sealant that was difficult to cover, so those took 4-5 coats. Painting the backs aren't necessary, but I gave them a light coat anyway. Let dry for several hours or overnight.



Cut out the scrapbook paper.

Step 4: Take your scrapbook paper, and measure and cut out a square that is slightly smaller than the face of the plaque. Since my plaque is 6.75" square, I cut the paper to be 6.5" square. Additionally, I rounded the corners of the paper like the plaque.



Mod Podge the plaque.

Step 5: Remove the thumbtacks from the letters/snowflakes after they have completed drying

Step 6: Apply a thin coat of Mod Podge to the front of the plaque.

Step 7: Place the background piece on the plaque. Use an edge of an old credit card to evenly press the paper to the block. Start at the center and work outward to eliminate any wrinkles. Let dry for several minutes.

Step 8: Apply 1-2 thin coats of Mod Podge over the paper. Place the wooden letters/snowflakes on the plaque.

Step 9: Apply 2-3 thin coats of Mod Podge over the lettered front and surrounding sides of the plaque.  Be sure to get the sides of the letters. Let dry.

Step 10: Lastly, apply 1-2 thin coats of Mod Podge to the back of the plaque. Let dry.



Finish the plaque.

Step 11: Cut a piece of coordinating ribbon the desired length. Staple it to the back, creating a hanger. Alternatively, you can glue the ribbon to the back with Mod Podge.



Step 12: Admire your work!




Do you like this project? Consider pinning it, subscribing to me, or checking out my other projects. For a complete list of all blogs I link up with, see my link party page.

I'm linking up with:
Make the Scene Monday @ Alderberry Hill
Share It Link Party @  The Winthrop Chronicles
Time for a Party @ Fine Craft Guild
Weekend Wrap Up Party @ Tatertots & Jello
Sundae Scoop Link Party @ I Heart Nap Time


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...