7/28/2012

cube fabric drawer makeover



I love cube storage, and I was overly excited when I got my first cube shelving unit. I wanted to do a contrasting black and white theme with the drawers, but I couldn't find white drawers (only cream). Instead, I decided to buy all black drawers and paint a graphic design on some of them.


What you'll need:

fabric drawer(s)
painters tape
ruler
x-acto or utility knife
fabric paint (I got 3 drawers out of one 4oz bottle.)
foam paint brush


The fun part:

Step 1: Tape out your design. I chose to do a square lattice pattern. I taped out the design with strips the whole length of the drawer. It was much faster, easier, and, neater this way.

Step 2: With an x-acto knife, carefully cut away the tape not needed for your design. Make sure all of the tape is firmly in place, especially along the hemmed edging.



Step 3: Paint your drawer. It took 3-5 coats to cover mine - the fabric soaks up a lot of the paint, and I was putting light over dark.



Step 4: Let dry several hours to overnight.

Step 5: Peel off the tape. My paint only bled under the tape a tiny bit along the hemmed edging. Since my fabric bin is black, I just used a black sharpie to cover the white that bled.

Step 6: Admire your work!


Do you like this project? Consider pinning it, subscribing to me, or checking out my other projects. For a complete list of all blogs I link up with, see my link party page.


I'm linking up with:
Time for a Party @ Fine Craft Guild



Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. Kelsey, this came out beautifully! It actually reminds me of the Japanese rice paper cabinet doors ... with a twist! Thank you for sharing it at http://www.finecraftguild.com :: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...